How to make a font thinner?
How to make a font thinner if it has no bold/regular weights?
There is actually a way you can create thin text within Illustrator.
Convert the text to an outline by:
- Switch to the Selection tool and choose
Type > Create Outlines.
- You can also use the keyboard command Ctrl+Shift+O (Windows) or Cmd+Shift+O(Mac).
- Select the text and
right click > Create Outlines.
- After the text has been converted to outlines add a stroke in the stroke panel or
Window > Stroke:
- Select `Align Stroke To Inside’:
- Select the outside paths of the text and delete.
- I would suggest after removing the original type path for you to kern the type.
A good video to watch about kerning is “Typography Tip To Help With Kerning” but you could adjust the kerning before converting the text to outlines.
I would also like to address this method is not ideal for body text and it should be reviewed with a fine tooth if you plan on using this for Serif Fonts. Especially look at the Ear, Terminal, Tail, and Bracket.